Monday, May 28, 2007

Perspective

One's perspective is, I think, irreparably skewed by one's ego. For example: what you remember about a person is not necessarily what that person would expect you to remember, and vice-versa.

I've been thinking about that quite a lot today (guilty of facebook). In meeting up with friends of a lifetime ago (as far back as *gasp* high school), I'm finding myself surprised at what they remember, or don't - depending on circumstances. I'm also surprised by the rushes of emotion when hearing from friends that I didn't know I missed (or how much I missed them), until they say things like "hi pretty lady". Simple? Yes. And No.

Life experience and, at times, boredom, have written events into my memory - bringing them up for perusal when I'm feeling particularly vulnerable, or, as I just mentioned, bored. I think we remember events that helped to shape us or shame us into a particular mould... things that wouldn't necessarily effect the others involved. Did jealously (hers) over an old boyfriend (or perhaps 2) shape the way I eventually remembered a friend? Did that kiss mean more to me? Did I embarrass myself inexcusably at that party? Did he/she forget about me? What I want to say is "of course not" - but I don't really know, nor do I have the will or interest to seek out the answers to those questions from those people that matter(ed?). These insecurities are insane because if there's anything I've learned in the past 20 years, it's to live in the present, forget the past and look to the future. Those that want to come with you will.

However; having said that, I still find myself thinking about those things. Important or not; real or not; emotional; or not. What we want, I think, is to be remembered. Favourably, if at all possible.

And on that note, and ending with perspective, you must read this.

1 comment:

Joe Guitar said...

Yeah, did I embarrass myself at that party is a big one. Perspective is huge.