Tuesday, April 13, 2010

To clean, or not to clean?

That is a Very Good Question.

Do you clean up for company? I think that most people do, depending on the definition of "company" and the definition of "clean".

Chris's Dad and his stepmom were going to come over today. His Dad to see the house for the first time. I was freaking out because there is dust and the carpets are dirty and the bathrooms aren't absolutely clean and the windows need washing and the basement's a mess and Mike forbid... there are DISHES on the counter in the kitchen. Here's the thing though - I don't worry about it when someone just drops by. I mean... I DO, but since there really isn't anything that can be done about it in the moment, I don't worry about it, y'know?

Our house is neither gross, nor is it a Palace of Clean. We work, we have kids... the house gets cleaned when we have the time and are so inclined. BUT. When it's not clean I stress about it. "What will they think if they come by and it's a mess"... or "OMG what a disgusting mess" (when really it's a couple of things laying around). I can hear my mother's voice in the back of my head after visiting a house that isn't pristine ... "Oh, what a mess that house was... why doesn't she clean it"... always blaming the wife or mother for the "work" not being done. WHY have I taken this on in my life? I didn't used to care... much ;) How do I lose this guilt? Rid myself of the unwanted compulsion to judge my own space?

What about you?

No comments: