Thursday, February 15, 2007

Family

My parents have been visiting for the past few days, which has been amazing. I miss them when they're not here. Probably makes me odd, but I don't really care! They got to see their granddaughters in Tae Kwon Do class and Soccer, Swimming and preschool and I hope they had as good a time as I did.

They've recently (okay, well only recently if you call the last 2 years recent) taken to looking for a new house - my Dad hopes for one without too much land to take care of (they're moving off of acreage) and my Mom hopes for one that has land and ocean and views and loads of wonderful things that I think we all want. There seem to be so many road blocks for them right now. My Grandparents have lived on their property for well over 30 years now, and they also need to move. Gramps is 101 and Gramma's 90. Yes, they still live on their own and quite well, most of the time. I think that having grandparents close (at least just a car-ride away) is of great benefit. I grew up that way - and loved it.

Over the years, Mom and Dad have become nearly the sole care-givers for Gramma and Grampa; with the exception of the odd drop-in from other families (which doesn't happen NEARLY enough, hint hint if you're reading this). We used to visit at least once a week while we were still on the mainland, though I do digress. Although my sister and I love our grandparents deeply, our true concern is for our Mom and Dad. We do NOT want them to have Gramma and Grampa move in with them. So, Mom, hearing this, began looking at care facilities here on the island. Yay! There are so many locally; many offer care from assisted living (which Gram and Gramps probably are) to intermediate and acute care. I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed on this one, as it would mean my parents (and, bonus! Grandparents) would be much closer than a ferry-ride away. We'd be able to visit more often and the girls would get to know them the way I know my grandparents.

I KNOW that this is their decision, but dammit! I want them to move here!

2 comments:

Mrs. Dymund said...

Yay! I finally made Blogger do my bidding.

Family dynamics and distance take on a whole bucketload of new implications once you have kids. I was happy having a whole province to myself away from my family until children changed everything.

Urban said...

So very, very true